[Discuss] Grub, EFI, Partitioning…

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Mon Sep 2 16:19:18 EDT 2024

On 9/2/24 15:00, Kent Borg wrote:
> Do any of you quickly know what is needed to be modern
> Linux boot partitions?
>
> I have a /boot and a /boot/efi that Debain installed on my
> internal SSD and I would like to duplicate them on an
> external device. What do I need?
>
> - partition as a GPT not MBR table
>
> - format /boot with some Linux file system
>
> - format /boot/efi with vfat
>
> - copy files in
>
> - install grub
>
> …does that cover it?
>
> Last I think I tried that my BIOS didn't want to boot from
> it.
>

> Thanks,
>
> -kb

Boot should be ext4 as grub can read that file system type
on boot.
After installing grub you need to register the file
/boot/efi/EFI/debian/shimx64.efi with the efibootmgr. The
man page for efibootmgr gives good examples for how.

That last step should be done on the machine you intend to
boot from. If you skip that step then you have to boot from
the machine firmware menu.

--
Jim KR