[Discuss] Think I need a new computer

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:23:45 EDT 2024

On Mon, 17 Jun 2024 09:45:26 -0700
Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> wrote:

> I suspect the video hardware because have seen occasional funny video
> glitches, basically from the start. II assumed driver problems, GPUs
> are not well documented and probably full debt. It has otherwise been
> a reliable machine, the glitches come and go, but with age they are
> getting worse and, alas, no longer just cosmetic.

Could be thermal problems. Could be failing connector cable (the ribbon
cable that connects the display panel to the main bord), or loose
cable. Lot of "could be" to choose from.

I can't speak to Intel graphics but AMD graphics drivers are fully open
source. That's a win for Team Red in my book.

> And next time I buy a notebook computer I will get one that is
> upgradeable (!) and repairable (!). A 13-inch model from
> http://frame.work being the current strawman. As long as I don't want
> one of the new pre-order machines they ship within 5-days…

I was burned quite badly doing this not too long ago: Intel changing
sockets after Haswell, nVidia dropping the MXM socket entirely, leaving
me with a very expensive "upgradeable" computer with no upgrade path.
Now I view portable kit as disposable appliances, sad as that is.

--