[Discuss] new ssh error

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Jul 2 14:42:24 EDT 2024

On 7/2/24 05:42, markw at mohawksoft.com wrote:
> Is this related to the SSH CVE that is blowing up the internet right now?

That is certainly why the update is out there. (Nasty bug!) But it looks
like there are no exploits in the wild, yet. One machine that would be
truly nasty if sshd quit running I just updated today, and no error
message. (That machine is not critical, but is remote.)

I'm seeing this error on two machines, so I suspect others will have the
error, too, I'll keep doing web searches for it.

No, I have not restarted one machine where (1) I do ssh logins and (2) I
am seeing this error. It would be a pain in the arse if sshd didn't
restart on reboot. I am (foolishly, I'm sure) content to restart sshd
itself. I know there is a "reboot, always reboot, don't be a fool you
gotta reboot"-crowd, but I'm not going to do that. Not yet.

At minimum I will do some experimenting on my laptop first. It has the
error and I don't login to it via ssh, in fact I don't have sshd set to
start at all. I should set it to start, reboot, see whether it does. But
I haven't done that yet.

Thanks,

-kb