[Discuss] Moving Your Everyday System to New Hardware

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 22:05:05 EDT 2024

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 19:26:03 -0400
jbk <jbk at kjkelra.com> wrote:

> Could be, but you still have to edit the installed copy for
> UUID's, IP addresses and hostname. And, doing the snapshot
> probably takes the same amount of time as what I did to copy
> the files directly to disk. The advantage to my method is
> that I have at least one working OS if not two when I'm
> done. Disk realestate is cheap and dual booting at least
> with the ext4 file system is reliable.

Not unless I completely misunderstand what you are doing.

Creating filesystem snapshots on ZFS and Btrfs is instantaneous.

Depending on how snapshots are managed you can have *many* instances of
the OS. My directly available example is Tumbleweed which uses the
snapper tool to snapshot the OS every time 'zypper dist-upgrade' is
run. I currently have... checks... nine "versions" of the OS available
to me on this computer, any of which are bootable and can replace the
currently active iteration simply by selecting it from the GRUB menu.

Have I mentioned recently that I quite like Tumbleweed?

--