[Discuss] Reviving LibreBoston at A2

Zachary Liebl blu at zachliebl.com
Mon Aug 26 09:35:15 EDT 2024

Hello,

Recently the Free Software Foundation closed its main office at 51 Franklin Street. Historically that was where the FSF has held various meetups for its members. Me and a number of other FSF members were discussing how we want to continue hosting meetups.

BLU is also looking for a place to host in-person meetups.

I am wondering if this group would be open to teaming up with FSF members to revive LibreBoston (http://libreboston.org/). I have been told the LibreBoston has historically been a sub-group of BLU, and you all can tell me more about it. If I am wrong, then pretend that LibreBoston is something new that we are trying to create; it will not make a difference.

At these meetups we would like to have a speaker talk about something FOSS-related, share what our current software projects are, and socialize. This sounds very similar to our monthly BLU meetings, but it has a bit more of an emphasis on Free Software.

Attendance at BLU monthly meetings seems to be dwindling, so it may seem like a bad idea to start a brand new set of meetups. However, I can say for certain that this is not an issue from the FSF side, and there is extremely heavy interest in making this happen.

Because we put an emphasis on Free/Libre Software and this has a lot of overlap with "maker culture," we think that we be able to easily get a meeting spot at Artisan's Asylum (Abbreviated A2). A2 is a large makerspace in Allston. Although this place is primarily a workshop, they do have classrooms that can fit 30 people (https://www.artisansasylum.com/).

I am asking if this sounds like a plausible idea.

From,
Zachary Liebl