[Discuss] Any NeXTperts out there?

Kurt L Keville kkeville at mit.edu
Mon May 9 13:39:41 EDT 2022

So I finally decided to donate a NeXT Machine to the Computer Museum... I think the last time this was booted was 20 years ago, but even if it was, it did not find an ntp server back then according to the syslog...

I have done everything that
NeXTAnswer 2152 Restoring Root Password
tells me to do... and it appears to be sticking after I look at /etc/passwd but it does not work at the GUI prompt.

I suspect this has something to do with it looking for, and then failing to find, yellowpages. I seem to remember something about that. I am not particularly married to any content on the drive so I think I could do something drastic if need be... although I think I can just set it to boot bypassing the password prompt, yes?

I might also see if I can find a place outside of MIT that will issue it a routable IP address and see if any of the server addresses it is trying to hit are still alive. That is just crazy enough that Apple might still have those addresses. Not everyone is selling their address space off to Amazon.